Thursday, December 27, 2007

Chat area

Thought I'd give a brief status update since I haven't had one of those in a while. I have just gotten the chat application up and running, at least on the status page. It's not perfect yet, since I've noticed that I'm dropping a few messages. They're getting into the database fine, but they're not getting displayed. I think it's just miscalculating which messages it needs to ask for.

Also, to conserve bandwidth, I'm only hitting the server every 2 seconds, so you're going to notice the delay between when you write a message and when it appears on the screen. In the future, I may have it post your messages immediately and just poll for everyone else's responses, but then I would run into messages being out of order. Unfortunately, this is a case where there's only so much I can do.

But this is a very good thing now, as this is how the final application is going to work! I also implemented playing a red card the other night, so I'm making progress on several fronts. It's coming together really well. Hopefully, that should do for an update for tonight.

No comments: